- It has been said that a “special Providence watches over children, drunkards, and the United States.”
- (December 1856). “Editor’s Drawer“. Harper’s New Monthly Magazine
- I understand the saying that God takes care of children, drunken men and the United States.
- Curtis, George W (1882). “The leadership of educated men“. The Preacher and Homiletic Monthly (The Homiletic Review) 6: 695-703,696.
- There is a popular faith that “God takes care of children, fools and the United States.”
- Strong, Josiah (1885). Our country: its possible future and its present crisis. New York: Baker & Taylor for the American Home Missionary Society.
- We labor continuously against this seemingly popular American idea, that Providence takes care of children, fools and the United States.
- Brevet-Major Melville C. Wilkinson, “Relation of the regulary army to the country in time of peace”, speech read March 13, 1893,Glimpses of the nation’s struggle (1898), 4th series, p. 57
- Why are the prosperous times for this country so largely due to the whimsical intervention of that Providence which our French friends say watches over fools, drunkards, and Americans?
- “Inverted protection”, New York Times, July 22, 1897, Page 4